[Resolved] E-mail not being picked up

Absolutely irresponsible! Not only are you "rejecting some messages," but it looks to me like you are rejecting all messages!!!

:angry:

Everything is now going directly to my forwarding address. Thank you for spreading a little bit of sunshine.

And now it looks like I can't even forward the email for reporting to submit.<code removed>[at]spam.spamcop.net

Another bright ray of sunshine.

Moderator Edit: Extracted from http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7342 .... as the issue was not related to that Topic material. PM sent to advise of this action and 'new location' of the 'new Topic' ....

it looks to me like you are rejecting all messages!!!

No, that's not the case. I'm getting all the rest of my emails...just not the ones rejected during initial delivery at SpamCop's email server.

Everything is now going directly to my forwarding address.

Not sure what you mean by "going directly to my forwarding address." Please clarify that, but don't give out actual email addresses. You should edit your post and remove the details of your "submit" address or it will be harvested by bots and compromised.

DT

No, that's not the case. I'm getting all the rest of my emails...just not the ones rejected during initial delivery at SpamCop's email server.

Not sure what you mean by "going directly to my forwarding address." Please clarify that, but don't give out actual email addresses. You should edit your post and remove the details of your "submit" address or it will be harvested by bots and compromised.

I too am getting all the messages I expect and at least a good amount of the spam as well. We don't know how the choice is being made, perhaps it depends on the server load.

I assumed it meant he stopped using his spamcop account. I may be wrong, however.

I edited his private code for him, but he may wish to mention to the deputies that he revealed it here and get a new one while working with them on his problem submiting to it. If he provides more information here, or reads the FAQ's, he might realize where his problem is and that the two problems are not related (completely different servers on opposite sides of the country).

I would like to split this thread out from underestimated's post, but still not sure where it should go... not receiving any email would be the curent forum. Not being able to use the submit address would be reporting forum.

I assumed it meant he stopped using his spamcop account. I may be wrong, however.

I might as well stop using it. It is not picking up or filtering any email.

I use 3 email addresses (i.e. A[at]intergate, B[at]spamcop & C[at]intergate). Everyone emails me at A & everything sent to A goes to B. If filtered properly, like it usually is, then the good email is forwarded to C and all the garbage is left in my Spamcop Held Mail box.

Now, when I log on to SC it goes directly to Held Mail where I check what was filtered. Nothing there (usually 10-30 spam email). So I wonder if everything just passed through the filter process & was sent my 3rd address (C[at]intergate) - no. My email is not getting picked-up by SC at all.

Since I am having to bypass SC to get my email, I end up with all the spam. Whenever I forward the spam, to the appropriate SC address for reporting (sorry I actually used it last time), it is sent back to me as rejected.

Hope I summed it up a little better for you. Thanks for the assistance.

Now, when I log on to SC it goes directly to Held Mail where I check what was filtered. Nothing there
You have me a bit confused here. There are multiple ways to log into SpamCop.

Your statement "Now, when I log on" implies to me that something has changed.

One can login directly to WebMail which should open the InBox

One can login into the Reporting side of your Email Account, sometime refered to as the VER interface, which has the following links

Report spam Mailhosts Statistics Past Reports Preferences Webmail Held Email

HeldMail opens up the VER interface for reporting heldmail

By using more detailed URLs, one can login at various branches of the program.

What URL are you using to login?

I personally have not experienced any problems and I have mail forwarded to my SpamCop account from several other accounts, but I use POP to access the mail from my SpamCop inbox and use IMAP to prescan my heldmail and to move mail from my various OE folders back to HeldMail for reporting and I then use the VER interface for quick reporting, full reporting and whitelisting

Now, when I log on to SC it goes directly to Held Mail where I check what was filtered. Nothing there (usually 10-30 spam email). So I wonder if everything just passed through the filter process & was sent my 3rd address (C[at]intergate) - no. My email is not getting picked-up by SC at all.

Since I am having to bypass SC to get my email, I end up with all the spam. Whenever I forward the spam, to the appropriate SC address for reporting (sorry I actually used it last time), it is sent back to me as rejected.

Hope I summed it up a little better for you. Thanks for the assistance.

I'm certain that the issue you describe is not the same as the one this thread was started to discuss. Namely, that for a period, some Email arriving at spamcop.net mailboxes would be rejected at the SMTP stage because the source IP matched an identified source of spam.

Your description is that ALL your Email is going to your held mail folder. That is a very different issue and, since nobody else seems to be reporting this, is likely to be something unique to your configuration.

For this reason it would be helpful to know how you collect the mail from mailbox A and deliver it to your SpamCop mailbox. Do you forward from A or have you got SpamCop set up to 'POP' from A.

Also, have you been through the process of setting up your mailhost configuration? If you have then perhaps your routings have changed. Since the mailhosts do not not dynamically reconfigure themselves this can cause a problem. You need to reconfigure the mailhost settings. Or you may even need some manual intervention to fix the mailhosts. I had a similar issue a year or so back and the SpamCOp admins were very helpful.

Andrew

Your description is that ALL your Email is going to your held mail folder.

Sorry if I said or implied that. SC doesn't pick-up anything any longer (in any folder). The only folder I ever needed to check in the past was Held Mail because all the good mail was retrieved using Outlook Express.

For this reason it would be helpful to know how you collect the mail from mailbox A and deliver it to your SpamCop mailbox. Do you forward from A or have you got SpamCop set up to 'POP' from A.

POP - Anything directed to me at SC or Intergate goes directly to SC. At this point, spam is left in Held Mail & the good stuff is forwarded to another address I access with Outlook Express.

It was a really beautiful system the way it worked for the past year or so.

Also, have you been through the process of setting up your mailhost configuration? If you have then perhaps your routings have changed.

Not sure what could have changed or how, but it's worth a look.

So I finally decide to check the settings. Everything looks to be fine... except for what I saw on the POP configuration page. The server, name & PW were all correct, but there was an Error Count of 285 with a Last Error message of "Cannot contact server." Bah! So it looks to be a different problem from what I originally expected.

So who is the party who can correct this? SC or my ISP? I guess I can contact both.

Thanks for the assistance.

So I finally decide to check the settings. Everything looks to be fine... except for what I saw on the POP configuration page. The server, name & PW were all correct, but there was an Error Count of 285 with a Last Error message of "Cannot contact server." Bah! So it looks to be a different problem from what I originally expected.

So who is the party who can correct this? SC or my ISP? I guess I can contact both.

Still not sure which mailbox we're loking at here but guessing you are looking inside SpamCop mail's POP settings.

Can you POP mailbox 'A' direct using Outlook Express or whatever? If you can then I guess the problem would be between SpamCop and your first mailbox. Could be worth re-entering your user and password info since they could have become corrupted.

Andrew

Your statement "last year or so" Could it be that it is exactly one year and your spamcop accout was not renewed?

No.

Can you POP mailbox 'A' direct using Outlook Express or whatever?

Yes.

Could be worth re-entering your user and password info since they could have become corrupted.

Done. We shall see.

Thanks again.

Dear member,

I have been trying to contact you via telephone to inform you as to why your

ability to POP your Intergate Inbox has been affected. What we are seeing

is that since you were checking mail from a 3rd-party source and submitting

spam messages to Spamcop directly (which we feel is a good thing), each time

you submit a message that was on our server Spamcop appears to be looking at

the IP address in the header and potentially adding it to a list of known

Spammers.

Spamcop, being widely adopted in the industry is a great tool, however if

our servers become listed it could potentially affect all of our member's

email experience.

You are still able to download your mail directly from our POP3 server,

however pulling your email from a 3rd party has been disabled for now.

We apologize for the inconvenience and should you have any questions, please

direct them to me.

Kind regards,

James Jelinek

Customer Service Manager

IT Manager

Office: 281.675.7314

Mobile: 281.948.3372

Fax: 281.675.7301

Is there any way to get around this?

Thanks.

I would say .. not at present ... sounds to me like they tried to work with you, but couldn't get your attention. You apparently got theirs by reporting various e-mails, not verifying the parser results, and thereby reporting them to themselves. That actually falls under the description of "bad reporting" which has consequences. It sounds more like you "poisoned the well" as far as any other folks using that ISP and a SpamCop.net account also.

This is exactly the kind of thing that the "MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Account" was put into place to help prevent. Apparently, you did not take advantage of this, compounded by apparently not noticing that you were reporting your own ISP (to themselves) ....

Quite an interesting flip to the way you came in here, guns a-blazing .. wow!

From the way that e-mail was worded, you appear to have a pretty astute ISP involved .. that also didn't follow-up those reports with their own complaints about your reporting .... Other user experiences turned out much. much worse.

Thanks.

...Did you go through MailHosts configuration, again, as discussed in earlier posts in this thread?
<snip>
Also, have you been through the process of setting up your mailhost configuration? If you have then perhaps your routings have changed.
Not sure what could have changed or how, but it's worth a look.
...For a full explanation from the post you quoted, see the last paragraph is Andrew's reply, above. It may be that your e-mail provider or ISP has added some internal servers that are confusing the SpamCop parser.

I would say .. not at present ... sounds to me like they tried to work with you, but couldn't get your attention.

No. The issue was never brought up before.

You apparently got theirs by reporting various e-mails, not verifying the parser results, and thereby reporting them to themselves.

When I see 30 pieces of mail in my held folder and before I click on the report button, I do verify that I am reporting spam (and I have verified a few reports sent at random). On the mail that gets though the filter that I have to report manually, I do verify the parser results and there have been no related issues.

This is exactly the kind of thing that the "MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Account" was put into place to help prevent. Apparently, you did not take advantage of this, compounded by apparently not noticing that you were reporting your own ISP (to themselves) ....

Wrong. I set this up a while back. Additionally, I was not aware some changes to my ISP (i.e. When I reported this problem to intergate, I got a response from academicplanet O.o). I am trying to make the necessary corrections now.

...Did you go through MailHosts configuration, again, as discussed in earlier posts in this thread?Not sure what could have changed or how, but it's worth a look....For a full explanation from the post you quoted, see the last paragraph is Andrew's reply, above. It may be that your e-mail provider or ISP has added some internal servers that are confusing the SpamCop parser.

I believe you might be correct. I am working on this now.

Archived