Reporting addresses

or31

Hi,

I have a question about blacklisted IP addresses, this is the third time since our IP addresses have been blacklisted without receiving any report. It suppose to send an email to abuse<at>cm2.com or abuse<at>summitnetworks.net. we need this report to verify the problem.

Here the IP address that have been blacklisted:

Thank you very much.

Please help!

*EDIT* removed email addresses to prevent scraping

There are plenty of the reports below going to the expected addresses: abuse[at]cm2.com and Third parties interested in reports: abuse[at]savvis.net. Some of the reports however are being handled internally (To: abuse#savvis.net <at> devnull.spamcop.net ), either by choice of savvis or because of bounces. The other 2 IP's are not currently listed. Moles reports usually indicate that, IIRC. Spamtraps will not generate reports as NO email should be going to them at all.

There is definitely something wrong with your list. You should stop using it and regenerate it. You do confirm that the list traffic is going to a correct address before adding it to your list, correct?

Report History:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 11:21:50 AM -0400:

Email Property Finder Properties

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 4:08:14 AM -0400:

Submitted: Saturday, May 21, 2005 1:05:57 AM -0400:

Submitted: Friday, May 20, 2005 12:27:51 AM -0400:

Submitted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:40:20 AM -0400:

Submitted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 11:34:25 PM -0400:

I'm here to help with your real estate needs

Submitted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 1:09:56 AM -0400:

Submitted: Friday, May 13, 2005 5:22:04 PM -0400:

Your Saved Search: Marysville under $200k

Submitted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 4:16:19 PM -0400:

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week

It looks like you have a spammer sneaking through the cracks.

Report on IP address: 207.195.140.16

Last day 4.0 which is up 4992%

Last 30 days 3.4 which is up 1196%

one of your spammers seems to be http://www.joegilesre.com the spamvertised link was http://www.joegilesre.com/PreviewP/index.asp but the page it redirects to has been taken down but the main site hasn't. So you are allowing http://www.joegilesre.com to operate

Another link was: http://www.reliancenetwork.com/reliancenetwork/...

abuse reports went to abuse[at]savvis.net and abuse[at]cm2.com

The IP Address that is listed is 207.195.140.16. The following domains appear to be related to this real estate organization:

whois -h whois.networksolutions.com reliancenetwork.com ...
Registrant:
Reliance Network, LLC
   5519 S. 237th Place
   Kent, WA 98032
   US

Domain Name: RELIANCENETWORK.COM

Administrative Contact:
      Network, Reliance  hostmaster&lt;at&gt;reliancenetwork.com
      Reliance Network
      3326 160th Ave S.E.
      Suite 201
      Bellevue, WA 98008
      US
      425-562-6808 fax: 999-999-9999

Technical Contact:
      Bujnowski, Mike  mikebujnowski&lt;at&gt;HOTMAIL.COM
      12277 134th Court NE
      Suite 201
      Redmond, WA 98052
      US
      425-823-6855 fax: 425-823-6945

Record expires on 25-Oct-2006.
   Record created on 25-Oct-2001.
   Database last updated on 31-May-2005 23:27:36 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.RELIANCENETWORK.COM      207.195.168.162
   NS2.RELIANCENETWORK.COM      207.195.169.162

whois -h whois.godaddy.com joegilesre.com ...
Registrant:

Preview Properties, Inc.
   412 W North Camano Drive
   Camano Island, Washington 98282
   United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com
   Domain Name: JOEGILESRE.COM
      Created on: 21-Sep-03
      Expires on: 21-Sep-05
      Last Updated on: 04-Aug-04

Administrative Contact:
      Giles, Joseph  jgiles&lt;at&gt;previewp.com
      Preview Properties, Inc.
      412 W North Camano Drive
      United States
      3603879369      Fax -- 

Technical Contact:
      Giles, Joseph  jgiles&lt;at&gt;previewp.com
      Preview Properties, Inc.
      412 W North Camano Drive
      United States
      3603879369      Fax -- 

NS1.PREVIEWP.NET
      NS2.PREVIEWP.NET

whois -h whois.networksolutions.com summitnetworks.com ...
Registrant:
Reliance Network, LLC
   5519 S. 237th Place
   Kent, WA 98032
   US

Domain Name: SUMMITNETWORKS.COM

Administrative Contact:
      Network, Reliance  hostmaster&lt;at&gt;reliancenetwork.com
      Reliance Network
      3326 160th Ave S.E.
      Suite 201
      Bellevue, WA 98008
      US
      425-562-6808 fax: 999-999-9999

Technical Contact:
      12277 134th Court NE
      Suite 201
      Redmond, WA 98052
      US

Record expires on 14-Jan-2008.
   Record created on 14-Jan-1999.
   Database last updated on 31-May-2005 23:27:30 EDT.

NS1.SUMMITNETWORKS.COM       207.195.173.11
   NS2.SUMMITNETWORKS.COM       207.195.173.12

whois -h whois.networksolutions.com previewp.net ...
Registrant:
Preview Properties
   1222 N 185th st ste.102
   shoreline, WA 98133
   US

Domain Name: PREVIEWP.NET

Administrative Contact:
      Preview Properties  timothyemineth&lt;at&gt;aol.com
      1222 N 185th st ste.102
      shoreline, WA 98133
      US
      206-542-2171 fax: 123 123 1234

Technical Contact:
      Emineth, Timothy  timothyemineth&lt;at&gt;aol.com
      1222 N 185th st ste.102
      shoreline, WA 98133
      US
      206-542-2171 fax: 123 123 1234

Record expires on 19-Mar-2006.
   Record created on 19-Mar-2002.
   Database last updated on 31-May-2005 23:34:40 EDT.

NS1.RELIANCENETWORK.COM      207.195.168.162
   NS2.RELIANCENETWORK.COM      207.195.169.162

whois -h whois.networksolutions.com previewp.com ...
Registrant:
Preview Properties Inc.
   1222 N. 185th street
   Seattle, WA 98133
   US

Domain Name: PREVIEWP.COM

Administrative Contact:
      Emineth, Timothy  tim&lt;at&gt;previewp.com
      1222 N. 185th. street
      Seattle, WA 98133
      US
      (206) 542-2171 fax: (206) 546-3470

Technical Contact:
      12277 134th Court NE
      Suite 201
      Redmond, WA 98052
      US

Record expires on 15-Jan-2006.
   Record created on 16-Jan-1998.
   Database last updated on 31-May-2005 23:34:48 EDT.

NS.RACKSPACE.COM             207.235.16.2
   NS2.RACKSPACE.COM            207.71.44.121

Hi,

I have a question about blacklisted IP addresses, this is the third time since our IP addresses have been blacklisted without receiving any report. It suppose to send an email to abuse<at>cm2.com or abuse<at>summitnetworks.net. we need this report to verify the problem.

Here the IP address that have been blacklisted:

Thank you very much.

Please help!

28741[/snapback]

Looking at the evidence, I strongly suggest that you read, mark, learn and inwardly digest:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=779

'Am I using mailing lists responsibly?'

It would seem prima facie thay you are not!

• 2 months later...

Hello,

My name is Joe Giles of JoeGilesRE.com. I am posting this message to clear the air here. My website emails its registrants with a regular newsletter and other helpful information. Moreover, if somebody runs a property search and saves the search with a request to receive email updates of new listings that come on the market, those email updates will come with the above mentioned subject "Email Property Finder Properties". Recipients of these emails can login at www.JoeGilesRE.com, using just their email address, to delete the saved searches that are generating these emails. Also, if the registrant never want to receive another email from www.JoeGilesRE.com again, they can simply use the "unsubscribe" link that is at the bottom of every email that they receive. All unsubscriptions are honored fully--it is not a fraudulent attempt to determine whether your address is "live" or not.

Merlyn mentioned this operation as a spammer "sneaking through the cracks". While I can see how that would appear to be the case, it actually has to do with how the website is generated. I am a real estate agent, not a web designer or webmaster or anything of that sort. I, along with numerous other agents who work at Preview Properties, inc., pay an annual subscription fee to Reliance Networks in return for a pre-designed website that is rich in useful features for prospective homebuyers and sellers. The website itself is somewhat customizable but for the most part it is very similar to other websites of agents who subscribe to this same service. The automatic emails are just some of the many features that are included in the subscription service. They are generated through the "mother site" built by Reliance Networks. But they are sent in such a way that they appear to be coming from www.joegilesre.com. That is a good thing because I want prospective clients to contact me, not Reliance. It has nothing to do with being sneaky.

I do legitimate and reputable business in the greater Snohomish County area of Washington State. Unlike other products that frequently get promoted through spam, I sell property in the area that I have lived all my life. And unlike most spammers, I look forward to meeting my customers face-to-face, not just during a sale, but from time to time afterward in the same area.

For this reason, my reputation is important to me and that is why I decided to post this message.

If anyone reading this is receiving unwanted emails from my site, simply follow the "unsubscribe" link. Your unsubscription will be honored.

Sincerely,

Joe Giles

Preview Properties, Inc.

One question...When someone is signing up for a mailing, does the system confirm that the person requesting actually controls the email address by sending a confirmatiion before adding the address? In other words, could someone maliciously sign up someone else (spamtrap address) to receive your mailings. In that case, it is spam to the person receiving the message and they have no requirement to unsubscribe from something they did not subscribe to.

As seen earlier, there are LOTS of messages being seen as spam coming from the server shown. I'm sure not all of them (possiby any of them) are about your business, but when you share resources (mail server) you share the good and the bad. It looks like someone on that server is not following good list practices.

Nice write-up .. however ... though none of the identified IPs are currently showing as listed in the SpamCopBL, that some folks were complaining suggests that there may be something gone wrong in the grand scheme. What really looks bad is the previously listed additional fact of;

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

This little factoid doesn't quite meet your described scenario. Yes, it is known that some spammers have plugged in those spamtrap addresses in order to get some innocents ticked off at the anti-spam community. However, this also points back to a bit of a problem in how that e-mail list is run .. specifically, where is the confirmation e-mail to ensure that the address plugged in actually belongs to someone that actually wants "your" e-mail? You may not feel that this is "your" problem as you're paying someone else to provide the service, but the first post here was due to your outgoing e-mail having issues.

<snip>

For this reason, my reputation is important to me and that is why I decided to post this message. 

If anyone reading this is receiving unwanted emails from my site, simply follow the "unsubscribe" link.  Your unsubscription will be honored.

31849[/snapback]

If your reputation is important to you, then you will not email people who have not explicitly asked for email from you and confirmed that they do want it by responding to a confirmation email.

If I never asked to get mail from you, I will never unsubscribe from your website or your email. I understand that you are legitimate and will honor unsubscribe requests, but unfortunately too many unsolicited emails do not. I don't have the time or inclination to discover who is legitimate and who is not.

Also, if every real estate agent in the US sent me an email 'from a list' without a request from me, I would be overwhelmed. Unsolicited email is not the way to get customers.

Miss Betsy

If anyone reading this is receiving unwanted emails from my site, simply follow the "unsubscribe" link.  Your unsubscription will be honored.

Sincerely,

Joe Giles

Preview Properties, Inc.

31849[/snapback]

I do not unsubscribe from anything I never subscribed to in the first place. Sounds like a very unprofessional way to run a list to me. Good way to clear the air!

I, along with numerous other agents who work at Preview Properties, inc., pay an annual subscription fee to Reliance Networks in return for a pre-designed website that is rich in useful features for prospective homebuyers and sellers.  The website itself is somewhat customizable but for the most part it is very similar to other websites of agents who subscribe to this same service.  The automatic emails are just some of the many features that are included in the subscription service.  They are generated through the "mother site" built by Reliance Networks.  But they are sent in such a way that they appear to be coming from www.joegilesre.com.

31849[/snapback]

Well you might well be as responsible as you know how to be with your Email list practices but you accept that you've handed over the mailing function to Reliance Networks and you probably haven't any idea of how responsible they are being with their Email list practices.

Andrew

While sending out and waiting for a response from a "confirmation" email seems like a great method for ensuring that the controller of the address actually wants the email. This type of system still does not guarantee that the website is trustworthy with the information that it receives. That information can still be abused or hijacked, in which case unsubscriptions would still not necessarily be honored later on down the road.

Of course I can only speak for myself and how I handle information that is forwarded to me via Reliance Networks when I say that unsubscriptions are honored fully. In fact, just to be as safe as possible, I routinely delete unsubscribers from the database entirely so that their information does not get picked up by anyone else or misallocated. Afterall, a blacklist is still a list. So if anyone unsubscribes from my site, their email address, phone number and address are all deleted permanantly to further prevent unwanted future contact.

For those who are concerned about how Reliance Networks handles information, I have personally entered several profiles with different email addresses and then followed the unsubscription links. I have never received another email from them at those addresses. So even if some prankster has entered your address on my site, I would encourage you that email from my site will stop if you use the unsubscription process.

one final note: on the pages where users enter their information, there is a disclosure immediately under the email address entry box that says:

"By providing a telephone number and/or email address, you give express permission for us to call you or email you, even if your phone number is on a state or national "Do Not Call" list."

So by entering the inforamation to begin with, you are basically "subscribing"

That assumes one important fact which may or maynot be true; that the address and other information provided belongs to the person registering it. If you fail to that the extra step to validate the information before actually adding it to your list, then you are properly considered a spammer if the information is later proved to be invalid (not belonging to the person who registrered it)

one final note:  on the pages where users enter their information, there is a disclosure immediately under the email address entry box that says:

"By providing a telephone number and/or email address, you give express permission for us to call you or email you, even if your phone number is on a state or national "Do Not Call" list."

31902[/snapback]

That is good, but since you are not confirming in any way that these are controlled by the person filling in the form, they are virtually worthless. For instance, I could go to your form and fill in your email address and phone number.

As you say, you could then follow the unsubscribe links, etc. and hope they (you) do as you say. But if I did not signup in the first place, it may actually be against my AUP with my ISP, or against the policies of my company, to unsubscribe to that message. These rules have come about because the vast majority of "unsubscribe" links in existence are there for the express purpose of increasing the mail flow to valid email addresses. If you are complaining about a message, it means you have seen it, exactly what the spammers want to know.

Does the form capture any information that is not manually entered (the IP address of the request, for instance)?

While sending out and waiting for a response from a "confirmation" email seems like a great method for ensuring that the controller of the address actually wants the email. This type of system still does not guarantee that the website is trustworthy with the information that it receives.  That information can still be abused or hijacked, in which case unsubscriptions would still not necessarily be honored later on down the road.

<snip>

31902[/snapback]

It doesn't matter if the site is trustworthy - all that matters is that you can prove that this person agreed to have email sent to hir. The only way to do that is to send a confirmation email that shows, if responded to, that this person agreed to receive email.

Again, if someone enters my email information on your website so that you think I am "basically subscribing", whether maliciously or by accident, you think I should 'unsubscribe' because you are so trustworthy. What happened to "that information can still be abused..."? Why should I trust you when I can hardly trust someone who sends a confirmation email?

It is always very difficult for people who are honest to understand why anyone would mistrust them. I hate it when I have to show photo id to cash a check. They should be able to tell by looking at me that I am not the kind of person who would cheat them. However, that's the world we live in. I am sorry to tell you that unless you can show that someone has confirmed the subscription to your mailing list (just as I have to show photo id), you are going to have to accept that there will be people who will report your mailings as spam. And who will not unsubscribe no matter how nicely you ask them - because the odds are that unsubscription is bogus. As a matter of fact, the odds that I will not have enough in bank account is probably a lot less than that your unsubscribe won't work - and I bet you don't argue with the clerk when you want to use a check!

Miss Betsy

on the pages where users enter their information, there is a disclosure immediately under the email address entry box that says:

31902[/snapback]

No, here is what http://www.joegilesre.com/PreviewP/modules...accountid=27349 actually says:
By providing this phone number, you give us permission to call you in response to this request, even if this phone number is in the State and/or National Do Not Call Registry. Your privacy is important to us. We never sell, trade or share your personal information with any third party or organization, and only one of our associates will contact you in response to this request. If your property is listed with another real estate company or if you have a buyer's agency agreement with an agent, please disregard this offer. It is not our intention to solicit the offerings of other real estate brokers.
There is nothing on that page about use of the email address for contact by a Preview Properties mailing list.

One interesting additional note is that it is imposible to log onto the www.joegilesre.com web site unless you accept cookies.

I think twice before logging on to any new web sit that demands cookies just to get to the home page.

Note: in this particular case, the requested cookie appears to be quite harmless.

I have my browers set to question all cookies. After saying no 50 times I gave up.

In contrast to what Jeff G. wrote, I found the following when logging into the "New Customers Sign up today - Find out More button"

First Name   

Last Name

Phone Number   

Email Address

By providing a telephone number and/or email address, you give express permission for us to call you or email you, even if your phone number is on a state or national "Do Not Call" list.

Read our PRIVACY POLICY. 

Note: Jeff G. was probably quoting from the contact screen which requires a phone number to complete but then asks if you want to be contacted by email or phone.

Also it is interesting to note that the only thing needed to create an account on your site is an email address (all other fields can be left blank)

I created an account using a throw-away address to see what the results would be.

The account was created and I was able to re log into it with only entering a email address.

Also in scanning your web site, I could find no reference to any newsletter or any unsubscribe options.

StevenUnderwood, No information is taken from anywhere other than what is manually entered.

Merlyn, you are correct, there is no "confirmed opt-in".

Jeff G., Dad? is that you? Sorry, I had to ask. My dad's name is Jeff. hehe. Anyway, you're right. The quote from the page that you got to says:

By providing this phone number, you give us permission to call you in response to this request, even if this phone number is in the State and/or National Do Not Call Registry. Your privacy is important to us. We never sell, trade or share your personal information with any third party or organization, and only one of our associates will contact you in response to this request. If your property is listed with another real estate company or if you have a buyer's agency agreement with an agent, please disregard this offer. It is not our intention to solicit the offerings of other real estate brokers.

That form that you went to is more specifically for the purpose of sending me an email via the website. For example, if a user had a particular question about real estate or a particular home. Of course, in this instance you would have clicked a link that says "Contact me by Email". Now, of course a prankster could use someone elses address in this box but the information entered is not getting stored on a database. It is just an email sent straight to me, and it would not be causing the regular newsletters or "Email Property Finder Properties" emails either. So the bottom line there is that the earlier mentioned disclosure is not there because it does not apply and you are not entered into a mailing list by using that particular form.

dbiel, I understand your caution regarding cookies. Like I was telling Jeff G. I am not receiving any information that you do not manually enter, so I don't know what the cookies are for.

If anyone reading this is receiving unwanted emails from my site, you can call my phone number to tell me what email address to delete and I would be happy to do so. However, I understand if you don't want to, afterall, you might not be willing to trust me just yet. But other than that and using the unsubscribe process, I don't know what to tell you.

Presently I do not plan to stop subscribing to the service that Reliance provides due to the fact that it has help my business so significantly and that the overwhelming majority of registrants find the service to be helpful. However, I would like to see some revisions where the user walks/clicks through a short interview as to what kind of emails they would like to receive and then send them a confirmation. I've told our IT/Reliance go-between guy about this. But I personally have no skills to produce and maintain a site like that so I'm fairly bound to use this service. What makes my options even slimmer is that our MLS only allows each brokerage to have only 2 download licenses from their database regardless of how many agents work for that broker. Without an MLS download license, a real estate website is pretty worthless because people would not be able to search the MLS for homes which is what most visitors want to do.

Presently I do not plan to stop subscribing to the service that Reliance provides due to the fact that it has help my business so significantly and that the overwhelming majority of registrants find the service to be helpful.

31918[/snapback]

If the process used continues

a: to collect Email addresses without confirming that they are legitimate enquiries

b: use a mail list maintained by a third party over which you no control and which could, innocently or not, add additional EMail addresses to your list of names

you are at risk of being listed by one or more block lists. The SpamCop list is in many ways the least of your problems since once spam stops you get delisted quickly. Many other BLs will be significantly harder to get off and that could affect the business benefits you feel you gain from using Reliance Networks.

If the only or main benefit you gain from Reliance is the Email lists then you'd be best advised to spend some cash and set up your own systems - quite cheaply - and over which you have full control.

Andrew

Did I miss it or was where the form is that does give the warning mentioned at all in your reply?

Also most reporters do not read the forum so there is a very small chance that anyone who is reporting these emails will see your offer to remove them.

I am glad that you are passing on some suggestions to Reliance. Let's hope that they understand the dangers of unsolicited email.

Miss Betsy

agsteele, Actually the benefits are plenty because the site structure includes the ability to search the MLS with fairly specific criteria. That is the one thing visitors like to do more than anything else on a real estate website. Moreover, it also provides current real estate news articles & tips, when people set up accounts, they're not just signing up to receive email; they also have the ability to set up very specific searches and save them. They can also set up "favorites" folders for specific listiings that they find, print out flyers in various formats, email listings to friends, request a tour or further information from me, etc. There is no way that I could put all of that together and maintain it. Even if I could, the limited download licensing that our MLS provides to our broker would prevent me from being able to add search capability. The only way around that is by becoming a broker and managing my own office--sorry, but no thanks! hehe.

As far as getting blocked is concerned, that has been a problem from time to time. I've directed people to my site and they would not get the emails. Fortunately, most of them are able to come up with an alternative address to use, but I'm sure that there are folks who use the search engines to find me, sign up for an account, and then never get emails. In fact, I find new addresses in the database from time to time that are highlighted for being undeliverable. So I'm sure I'm getting blacklisted. Of course some of them are just fake addresses to begin with because people don't like giving out their info. I can certainly understand that. I take pretty extreme measures myself to prevent spam.

Miss Betsy, the disclosure you're looking for is on the page where you sign up for an account. If you run a search for property, it will take you to that page right before it shows you the search results.

Now that it has been stated there is no "confirmed opt-in" I believe you will be finding yourself in many more blocklists as the maintainers read this forum without posting not to count the many untold private blocklists.

Looks like rules 1, 2 and 3 in action.

As a follow up to my test:

I registered as a new customer on your site with the only information provided by me being an email address.

The only response to that registration was an email that appears to be nothing more than bulk advertising. It begins as follows:

If you're interested in either buying or selling a home, I'm sure you'll find my website to be an excellent resource. My goal ......
New customers should be greeted with a special notice thanking them for signing up, not just a generic blind add for your web site.

Also the web site itself provides no method to unsubscribe to any newsletter; in fact there is no mention of any newsletter or any method to subscribe to one, it is apparently just part of the customer package.

Failing to provide confirmed opt in and failing to acknowledge new registrations (other than be simply adding them to your list) will result in your operation being considered a valid source of spam and if this is the way you want to (or need to) operate your business, then you will simply have to live with the results.

Archived