Domain does not exist

Coming back to me with this message:

Domain of sender address myusername[at]cesmail.net does not exist.

(Note that "myusername" is standing in for my actual username, which I don't want to post in an open forum.)

URGENT - the "other" Spamcop email domain, "cesmail.net" is experiencing some sort of DNS problems. I'm getting bounces related to aliases that I have pointed at my "cesmail.net" account, and there are also DNS issues listed here:

http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=cesmail.net

In fact, on a web server, I just tried doing an MX lookup for "cesmail.net" and it also produced an error:

$ nslookup -type-mx cesmail.net

Server: ns.oneononeinternet.com

Address: 64.176.60.14

*** ns.oneononeinternet.com can't find cesmail.net: Non-existent host/domain

same thing on another web box:

$ nslookup -type=mx cesmail.net

Server: ns.vds2000.net

Address: 66.84.6.1

*** ns.vds2000.net can't find cesmail.net: Non-existent host/domain

NOT GOOD!

DT

Same problem here. RoadRunner is not accepting cqmail.net as a valid domain, so it won't let me send my email with that address, or retrieve my email. It seems that I'm still receiving some email, however (which right now I'm being forced to use webmail to get).

This more than a bit odd. cesmail is the server for more than just SpamCop users. E-mails have gone out all over the place, but one would think that alarms would have been going off for a while. Scary is the fact that the TTL has apparently been exceeded, as I can't find a DNS source anywhere that seems to remember where it was ... very odd ....

Please note that a similar problem is also occuriing for cqmail.net.  It's interesting that I can do an nslookup on cqmail.net, but mail to it bounces.

It appears that SC is using "name-services.com" for all the DNS for both "cesmail.net" and "cqmail.net" but not for "spamcop.net" (they use "akam.net" Akamai for that domain). The problem is either at "name-services.com" or it's with changes that SC folks (JT?) made that have fouled up the DNS.

If you look up the DNS records at "dnsreport.com," you'll see that neither of the domains starting with "c" have either "Glue" or "A records" for their MX..here's an example:

5 mx.cesmail.net. [TTL=3601] IP=[No Glue, No A record]

I think this means that reverse DNS isn't working...here's an indication of that:

ERROR: None of your mail server(s) seem to have reverse DNS (PTR) entries (I didn't get any responses for them).

and then there's this error:

ERROR: I could not complete a connection to any of your mailservers!

If your local servers still have the DNS info cached for "mx.cesmail.net" then they "might" be able to send mail directly to a "cesmail.net" address, but it seems that most forwarding from other accounts is broken.

DT

Julian is the "spamcop.net" guy, and he's the one that went with akamai ... JT's systems are separate, on the opposite coast. Info about the downage also posted over in the newsgroups, just to get more eyes on it .... I honestly can't recall the cqmail connection ... off to see if I can refresh that missing block of memory <g>

I'm investigating, but all of the name-services.com nameservers appear to be reporting correct information for us right now.

They are (in real time) now....but they must have had massive failures earlier today, or all the other boxes/hosts out there wouldn't think that "cesmail.net" had totally fallen off the 'net...which is what happened.

I'm now able to do MX lookups successfully from both of those boxes that were reporting "non-existent host/domain" a little while ago. This means that the correct DNS has just now repropagated, after being screwed up for a while.

DT

was just going to say the same thing;

Primary NS: dns1.name-services.com

Responsible person: info[at]name-services.com

serial:2002050701

refresh:10001s (20 hours)

retry:1801s (300 minutes)

expire:604801s (70 days)

minimum-ttl:181s (30 minutes)

It's showing up on both servers, so now it's a matter of propagating acroess the Internet .... here we go again, something in the Announcements section for all to see, and / or additional posts in all the sub Forum sections until this is cleared for all ..??? Technically, it's a webmail issue, so maybe it's already covered enough in the Topics in place "here" already ..???

As I said earlier, I have been looking at this issue. I can't find anything wrong. I've done extensive checking of all of the DNS servers and they are returning normal and appropriate values for the A and MX records for the domains.

I have a feeling that the name servers were probably returning incorrect values for a few minutes. This got cached around the internet and made the event seem longer than it was. However, I think everything should be back to normal now.

As you might have noted, we don't run our own DNS servers. For maxiumum redundancy, we use a company that has redundant servers in several places worldwide. Unfortunately, I think they must have screwed up for a while this afternoon.

JT

Yep...things were working OK for awhile, but I just got two messages bounced back -- one from RR and one from SBC.

WD :blink:

This was working all right for a while, but it seems to have returned in full force.  :(

19730[/snapback]

Saw the same behaviour this morning, about 8 hours ago. Thought the problem might be resolved in the course of the day. Just tried sending mail to myself and got the following error message

Mail Delivery System [MAILER-DAEMON at c60.cesmail.net]

The following message to <bargholz at spamcop.net> was undeliverable.

The reason for the problem:

5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up filter2.cesmail.net (MX):  NXDomain'

Anyone know if the problem is still being looked into. I have Spamcop set up to pop my mail server. All mails I retrieve are from Spamcop, Spamcop fetches and consolidates all mail from my accounts.

Regards

Rudolf

Looking for a clarification here...I have not had any problems all day receiving email (even testing when people here are having problems). I have had the normal amount of held mail each hour as well.

Are people having problems with spamcop.net addresses or only cesmail and the other domain? This last message seems to indicate a spamcop.net address.

The problems don't seem to involve "spamcop.net" at all, just "cesmail.net" and "cqmail.net." (I have both a spamcop.net and a cesmail.net account, so I'm in a good position to compare what's happening with both).

I just tried sending a message to my "cesmail.net" address from a webmail system on another domain and here's what happened:

Final-Recipient: RFC822; [private][at]cesmail.net

Action: failed

Remote-MTA: DNS; cesmail.net

Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 Host unknown

DT

Mine SEEM to be working again and I use a spamcop.net address. Everybody emailing me today got messages returned. Mails seemed to be going to my pop accounts then were collected by spamcop and some were then rejected and some seem to have simply vanished. The rejected ones were rejected by cesmail which really confused people! Hopefully Jeff is right in thinking that they may just be queued but so far I haven't seen any of the backlog come through.

As regards spam, I normally have 20 or so an hour but there were none in held mail for most of today. They have returned now but obviously there are a load missing. Not that I miss them mind :rolleyes:

JP

This just back from JT;

-=-=-=-=-=-

I've changed the internal handoff so that it no longer depends on DNS

working. This should fix the internal handoff problem entirely.

I'm still trying to figure out why name-services.com is handing out bogus

data occasionally.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-=-

If someone knows how to use "dig" I'd really like to see a specific failure from a specific nameserver. So, do something like "dig [at]dns1.name-services.com cesmail.net mx" or "dig [at]dns2.name-services.com mx2.cesmail.net". I need to know exactly what nameserver is returning what data in order to see where the problem is.

DNS checking tools on the web may or may not show enough detail. If they don't show what nameservers were queried, the nameserver company will just blow off the report.

Every time I check, everything is working correctly. I have DNS checking tools exhaustively follow all paths from the root nameservers and cross-check all returned info. Everything checks out. The problem must be very intermittent.

That said, I haven't had any response from the folks that are hosting the DNS now. I'll probably move to another provider, one that will be more responsive.

JT

$ dig [at]dns1.name-services.com cesmail.net mx

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> [at]dns1.name-services.com cesmail.net mx

; (1 server found)

;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch

;; got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 4

;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 5, ADDITIONAL: 5

;; QUERY SECTION:

;; cesmail.net, type = MX, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:

cesmail.net. 1h1s IN MX 5 mx.cesmail.net.

cesmail.net. 1h1s IN MX 10 mx2.cesmail.net.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

cesmail.net. 1H IN NS dns1.name-services.com.

cesmail.net. 1H IN NS dns2.name-services.com.

cesmail.net. 1H IN NS dns3.name-services.com.

cesmail.net. 1H IN NS dns4.name-services.com.

cesmail.net. 1H IN NS dns5.name-services.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:

dns1.name-services.com. 1H IN A 63.251.163.102

dns2.name-services.com. 1H IN A 216.52.184.230

dns3.name-services.com. 1H IN A 63.251.83.36

dns4.name-services.com. 1H IN A 64.74.96.242

dns5.name-services.com. 1H IN A 212.118.243.118

;; Total query time: 566 msec

;; FROM: host2.oneononeinternet.com to SERVER: dns1.name-services.com 63.251.163.102

;; WHEN: Mon Nov 8 19:35:02 2004

;; MSG SIZE sent: 29 rcvd: 299

I wonder why there are no IP addresses being returned for either of the MX values? The IP numbers should be in there...this is part of the problem, I think.

For example, here's the same querey on one of the name servers for "spamcop.net":

$ dig [at]ns1-11.akam.net spamcop.net mx

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> [at]ns1-11.akam.net spamcop.net mx

; (1 server found)

;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch

;; got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 4

;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUERY SECTION:

;; spamcop.net, type = MX, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:

spamcop.net. 1H IN MX 10 mx2.spamcop.net.

spamcop.net. 1H IN MX 5 mx.spamcop.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:

mx2.spamcop.net. 2D IN A 216.154.195.36

mx.spamcop.net. 2D IN A 216.154.195.53

mx.spamcop.net. 2D IN A 216.154.195.36

mx2.spamcop.net. 2D IN A 216.154.195.53

;; Total query time: 32 msec

;; FROM: host2.oneononeinternet.com to SERVER: ns1-11.akam.net 193.108.91.11

;; WHEN: Mon Nov 8 19:38:15 2004

;; MSG SIZE sent: 29 rcvd: 132

DT

Archived