Email Setup Help-Newbie Please

Hello

I am a newbie and I need some help please.

I just purchased a Spamcop account and setup in this way:

I setup to POP to my work account me[at]me.com

I then setup Outlook to Pop spamcop before downloading to my desktop

I think that I followed the online directions correctly.

I have a blackberry handheld. So I wanted to send filtered mail to my Blackberry. So I entered my blackberry adress into the forward option in the account setup for spamcop. This stopped all email from coming to my blackberry. Dont know why??

When I log on to my spamcop email account. I see no emails at all. None are in my inbox and none are waiting.

Since I am away from my office, I checked my work email via POP from my yahoo account and I had 137 messages most of which were spam. So I would think that these messages would be evident on my spamcop website if indeed I have set it up correctly.

What have I done wrong?

I have a blackberry handheld. So I wanted to send filtered mail to my Blackberry. So I entered my blackberry adress into the forward option in the account setup for spamcop. This stopped all email from coming to my blackberry. Dont know why??

When I log on to my spamcop email account. I see no emails at all. None are in my inbox and none are waiting.

24272[/snapback]

If you have entered a forwarding email address in Options --> SpamCop Tools, then emails that SpamCop receives are forwarded to this address and NOT kept in your SpamCop inbox. The instructions say, "If you wish to leave your email on the server, leave this blank."

You say most of the messages are spam? Check if SpamCop has put them into the "Held Mail" folder. Just press the Held Mail button in webmail.

Thank you for such a quick reply. I changed the setting and removed my blackberry adress from the forward area. Now I am getting spam to my blackberry again. There are NO messages in my held mail button at all. I checked this morning prior to checking my email and realizing that I had so much spam. I am uncertain why spamcop was not detecting my spam mail.

I know that there must be a simple reason why this is not working. However, I just cannot seem to find the obvious.

Thank you again for your help

You have set up SpamCop to POP your work email? Go to SpamCop Tools --> Configure External POP servers. If your setup is correct, you should see a table entry for your work account with Error Count 0 and Last Error "None". If you don't see that, you might not have set up POP correctly in SpamCop.

In spamcop settings for external mail. I have my pop server set for my work account and my user name and password set from my work account. I have double checked it and it is correct. Is that right?

24277[/snapback]

Your description sounds to be correct. What would be better, though, would be for you to forward your mail from your work account to SpamCop. But like many work accounts I suspect that may not be possible.

Andrew

In spamcop settings for external mail. I have my pop server set for my work account and my user name and password set from my work account. I have double checked it and it is correct. Is that right?

24277[/snapback]

Forwarding from your employer to SpamCop, as Andrew suggests, is a good way of getting around your POPping problems, if your employer offers that. If not, here are some troubleshooting tips for the POP settings:

1. Try turning SSL on or off. Some servers only work with a secure connection, while others do not accept secure connections at all.

2. Some mail servers require you to use your whole email address instead of just the username that you use for other logins. If external POPping works for you in Yahoo! Mail, try copying the exact same settings into SpamCop.

3. Your employer might have restrictions on from where you can POP your email. Unlikely, but possible.

4. Sometimes things get messed up within SpamCop, causing POPping on certain accounts to fail. I have heard that deleting the entry from the External POP Accounts table and creating a new one helps.

5. Sometimes special characters in usernames, e.g., [at] signs, cause problems. Search the forum for discussions about that if you think this might be relevant to your situation.

Moved to the "E-Mail account Set-up" Forum. dandtnor has talked about the blackberry, but has yet to state what the other tools/applications are. Might they be already covered in some of the Pinned items within this Forum, or even the "How to use ..." Forum ..???

ok. I have configuired spamcop to pop my work email and it is working just fine.

I am then forwarding my work email to my blackberry using tmobiles BWC. What is happening is that some spam is getting through to my blackberry between the 15 minute intervals. Not alot just some. Is there a better way to forward my cleaned mail to my blackberry using Spamcop?

Thanks

ok. I have configuired spamcop to pop my work email and it is working just fine.

I am then forwarding my work email to my blackberry using tmobiles BWC.

24293[/snapback]

If possible perhaps you should have work setup a second email account so you could POP or forward your spammed email to spamcop for cleaning. Then have it forwarded back to your unpublished address so you can forward to blackberry and still have access via outlook.

The way you have is setup right now, I don't see why you are not getting ALL of the spam to the backberry. A normal forward will be done immediately upon receipt, so it will have been done before spamcop pickes anything up for cleaning.

Either that, or we are still missing some parts of your config.

Based upon my understanding of my blackberry, I am forwarding and not pushing. Forwarding can take up to 15 minutes and is not realtime. Therefore, the time lapse may be allowing me to remove some spam prior to sending to the BB. Does that make sense?

This is why I originally tried to forward my cleaned mail from within spamcop to my blackberry. However, when I did this I was not getting any mail at all....There should be a simple way to do this

To try to answer your query, there's not enough information provided. For instance, what you say here (and filling in the blanks with some assumptions) this suggests that when the SpamCop system makes it's POP3 connection, all mail is them removed from this work account (having been 'moved' to the SpamCop e-mail server)

I am then forwarding my work email to my blackberry using tmobiles BWC.

Now there's the confusion factor.

What is happening is that some spam is getting through to my blackberry between the 15 minute intervals. Not alot just some. Is there a better way to forward my cleaned mail to my blackberry using Spamcop?

Based on the above, what I believe you are saying is what I tried to describe .... SpamCop server makes a POP3 run, the "work InBox" is cleared ... more incoming e-mail arrives at your "work InBox" ... your BWC thing does its run and forwarding ... SpamCop then makes the next POP3 run .... This your "some" scenario is happening.

From what I read of this, you want to actually troubleshoot the originally described problem of "forwarding to your BlackBerry" allegedly stops all e-mail traffic. You didn't state what you did to try to resolve the "56 error" thing other than asking if you did things right ..??? For example, woth these errors in hand, one could try to contact JT directly, passing on enogh data such that logs could be looked at to see why/what the errors were all about. I've no idea how large he lets those logfiles get, so am guessing that too much time has gone by now to reach back, but ...????

The BWC thing is T-Mobile's BlackBerry Web Client, described here:

http://www.t-mobile.com/bwc/

It supports three ways of getting mail in there: 1. Send mail directly to its address, 2. Have it POP another account every 15 minutes, 3. Forward mail from another account to its address.

Here is what I think:

You should set up your BWC to POP your SpamCop account (pop.spamcop.net) every 15 minutes. You should not set it to POP your work account at all. SpamCop should be the only thing POPping your work account.

Alternatively, if you have a second (secret!) work account that allows forwarding while retaining a copy, you could forward your filtered mail from SpamCop to this second account, forward from there to BlackBerry, and retain your mail there for access via your usual email client.

Here is what I think:

You should set up your BWC to POP your SpamCop account (pop.spamcop.net) every 15 minutes. You should not set it to POP your work account at all. SpamCop should be the only thing POPping your work account.

I think that this is the best possible solution so far. How do I do this? I went into BWC and I am not able to setup pop. Only forwarding.

Thank you all for trying to help.

It does not matter whether they call it "POP" or "forwarding" or whatever in BWC. Here is what you do in BWC:

1. Replace your employer's POP server with pop.spamcop.net

2. Replace your username with your full spamcop.net email address.

3. Use your SpamCop password as the password within BWC.

Now BWC should POP SpamCop every 15 minutes, although T-Mobile for some reason might call this "forwarding."

I think that this is the best possible solution so far. How do I do this? I went into BWC and I am not able to setup pop. Only forwarding.

Being far from rich enough to have to hassle with one of these, I can only say go here http://www.t-mobile.com/bwc/?blnShowAll=true .... instructions from here look a bit lame, but having to guess that the meat is available after you log into your account. They offer an 800 number and a support e-mail address .... the "POP" thing would be the "every 15 minutes" thing ....

A) am learning what "fast reply" is

B) wazoo states "one could try to contact JT directly, passing on enogh data such that logs could be...." does that mean that administrators do, or users? Users don't have his address I don't think. At least this user doesn't. Heck I don't even know who JT is.

B) wazoo states "one could try to contact JT directly, passing on enogh data such that logs could be...." does that mean that administrators do, or users?  Users don't have his address I don't think.  At least this user doesn't.  Heck I don't even know who JT is.

24331[/snapback]

JT is Jeff T., who runs Corporate Email Services (which provides all of the mail-related SpamCop Email System services in the spamcop.net, cesmail.net, and cqmail.net domains), as well as the SpamCop Forums and Newsgroups and their associated servers and other behind-the-scenes technical stuff. For the purposes of this discussion, he can be reached by email via "support <at> spamcop.net".

Of course, if your SpamCop Email System account is so broken that you can't either send or receive email from it, you should contact JT from a different account. :)

A) am learning what "fast reply" is

An entry in the "How to use ...." Forum deal with the "button confusion" issue with this Forum application.

B) wazoo states "one could try to contact JT directly, passing on enogh data such that logs could be...." does that mean that administrators do, or users?  Users don't have his address I don't think.  At least this user doesn't.  Heck I don't even know who JT is.

The Forum FAQ "read before posting" has Contact points. One would also like to believe that before posting, one would have looked through existing discussion data to see if the issue that brought one here has already been addressed. And even these thoughts are compounded a bit as you are talking about the use of a SpamCop Filtered E-Mail account, which technically means that you have actually been in contact with JT already ... you sent him money somehow, provided him data on setting up your e-mail account on his hardware <g>

Archived