Spamcop Webmail Down

Although all fixed now I should post this as it explains some of the outages:

Got this from Spamcop Deputies: at some stage during the night:

"something hardware" really explains SOOO much </sarcasm> I, for one, would like to know what, if any, steps they are taking to prevent another "single point of failure" but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for someone to reply back.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two weeks ago it was a user's password getting out and the resulting storm of cutwail bots took things down.

So there you have it, spammers. No rate-limiting capacity on this email server, and a lone, careless user can bring the whole system down.

Also apparently no redundancy, fail-over server or even alarms that would notify the sys op.

And this is acceptable? IN 2014?

Well, CESmail Twitter now says out through this evening. That's actually more information than usual, so thanks!

Still suspicious that they're using this forum to figure out when the system is down. Or I just happened on the outage right after it happened.

:D

Is this an appropriate place to discuss how to back up everything in Spamcop email to a local copy, so it can be referred to when CESMail isn't available?

I've been using the free MailStore Home, running in a Windows virtual machine, because it's the only tool I've found.

Using that -- since the time Spamcop Mail turned up empty a while back -- when I realized that when an IMAP server turns up blank, the local email copy cheerfully erases itself to conform to that.

But I'm not too clever about how to actually use MailStore Home's archives, because I have to set up a Windows mail reader to deal with the archive. And the further I get into Windows, the unhappier I am ...

It sounds like you might prefer POP over IMAP?

Nope. Quite the opposite.

I'm asking about backing up an IMAP account, because I use IMAP by choice.

It has this problem, that's what I'm asking about working around by backing up locally.

POP has other issues I don't need to go into.

Is this an appropriate place to discuss how to back up everything in Spamcop email to a local copy, so it can be referred to when CESMail isn't available?

<snip>

...Sure, that seems like an inoffensive-enough subject. It might merit its own Topic (thread), though, so as not to get lost among all the other posts here....

• 3 weeks later...

I thought Dilbert today was apropos of our webmail service.

(Smiling when I say that.)

Nothing apparently to do with the e-mail system, but the reporting service status charts show a dip of 5/6ths in spam volume processing fairly well concurrent with the above being posted - eerie, or what? :blink:

I have found the "Reporting Server Status" to be pretty meaningless, inconsistent, and worthy of ignoring for the last several years. Gaps in that graph used to coincide with SC Email Service outages, but that's no longer the case.

DT

• 5 months later...

Archived