so many ways to report SPAM

There's apperently 3-4 ways to report spam

1 I saw FAQs that ignore Webmail

2 Original FAQ with seemingly old out-of-date info on Quick Reporting

3 VER (which I have no idea if it's still around)

4) Paste it or forward after logging into Spamcop (not part of SC Email svc)

oh, and I read Jeff's guide on reporting, but it really was just about dragging into heldmail folder and said you had to use Windows & OE (I don't)

So far I am totally on my own. I'm just clicking link inside Email from SC webmail. It does something, and moves the message to deleted folder. i guess this is for us SC mail holders. I didn't see the need to login like #4 above (although I can).

Conclusion, after 33 minutes of reading FAQs and bouncing around the same pages via different links, I never found how to use report inside the Email message!

When I'm viewing a message in the SC webmail system, if I click on "Report as spam," I then see two system messages:

This message has been reported as spam to SpamCop.

The message has been deleted.

and the next message in the mailbox appears.

I think that's referred to as "Quick Reporting," and doing so should result in a "SpamCop Quick reporting data" email message from the system being sent to your SC address containing details of the reporting action, including a Tracking URL and the addresses to which reports were sent.

I used to report from within the webmail interface, and that's how it worked for me, but now I do most of my reporting using the web form, which doesn't result in an email.

(BTW, you've posted this message in the wrong forum...it should really be in the SpamCop Email System & Accounts forum, and I'm not entirely sure that I've even come close to answering your question, because your question isn't all that clear.)

DT

There's apperently 3-4 ways to report spam

1 I saw FAQs that ignore Webmail

2 Original FAQ with seemingly old out-of-date info on Quick Reporting

History/Genesis of the Forum FAQ - relates to the Original FAQ status

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/lofiversio....php/t2221.html

or

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2221

specific post that started my effort

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=14039

3 VER (which I have no idea if it's still around)

Use of Google on the Forum = over 250 returns using "+VER + Jeff" as the search terms ... most telling .. Status of VER at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...=findpost&p=410

4) Paste it or forward after logging into Spamcop (not part of SC Email svc)

oh, and I read Jeff's guide on reporting, but it really was just about dragging into heldmail folder and said you had to use Windows & OE (I don't)

Think you meant to point at Jeff G.'s Guide to SpamCop Quick Reporting ... noting that Jeff G. wrote that up using the tools and knowledge he'd developed. A woman passed me her account/password data so I could troubleshoot her issues whle using a Mac, Safari, etc. .. and while doing that I wrote up my "How to use ..." entries for the OS-X stuff (did not include e-mail or webmail submittal as I surely wasn't going to mess with any of her e-mail) What I'm getting at here is that this is a pretty open Forum, and input from opther users is a desired thing. It would be nice if someone using Thunderbird would take the time and write up some procedures, but ....

So far I am totally on my own.  I'm just clicking link inside Email from SC webmail.  It does something, and moves the message to deleted folder.  i guess this is for us SC mail holders.  I didn't see the need to login like #4 above (although I can). 

Conclusion, after 33 minutes of reading FAQs and bouncing around the same pages via different links, I never found how to use report inside the Email message!

27960[/snapback]

I don't know, not being an e-mail user .. but on the other hand, 99.999999% of the stuff coming into my personal accounts is recognized as being spam simply from the Subject line and the From address .... the 'business' accounts, I might drop that number down to 95% just to not be accused of exaggerating, but it's pretty rare that I open an e-mail and am surprised that "I fell for it" ... the point being, why are you reading your spam?

In all fairness, when I do up my complaints, I snag the source of the complete e-mail, pasting that into my e-mail to be forwarded, so there is a bit of a scan done at that time, but I'm looking for what tools to fire up to research the targets for my complaints. Quite a differemt view of why the text/content of a spam is being viewed.

I know, it's not an answer ... just all I can offer for that last one.

Think you meant to point at Jeff G.'s Guide to SpamCop Quick Reporting ... noting that Jeff G. wrote that up using the tools and knowledge he'd developed. 

the FAQs indeed are very poor on this subject. spam Cop FAQ / Mail Service only mentions what you should report but not how.

Jeff G.'s Guide contains the necessary steps but is a bit overloaded for this problem.

So I contracted it to a new

Guide to spam Cop Quick Reporting within Webmail:

1. Login to Webmail. You can report spam from your inbox or the Held Mail folder (or any other folder if you need to...)

2. Check the boxes to select all the spam (messages) you want to report. You can use the checkbox in the top left corner of the matrix (under "Delete") to check all messages in the folder. (shortcut removed - it may be Alt+N or Alt+K, depending on the current folder...)

3. Click the "Report as spam" link. The messages will be reported to SpamCop and deleted. (Quick Reports, reporting only the source of the messages, not the spamvertised links.)

4. You'll get one or more (depending on the number of messages reported) "SpamCop Quick reporting data" email message (to your Inbox) containing details of the reporting action, including a Tracking URL and the addresses to which reports were sent.

Recommendations:

- If you do use Quick Reporting, be sure to look at the reports (at least from time to time) you get back just in case the parser hiccups so you can correct any errors.

- Be sure to have configured your mailhosts correctly. This will prevent you from reporting your own ISP.

BTW: I think Jeff G's Guide is not up to date with the keyboard shortcuts...

Oops. - The topic is also covered here: How to use: Reporting within webmail

My guide only works if Quick Reporting is enabled...

Lukas

2. Check the boxes to select all the spam (messages) you want to report. You can use the checkbox in the top left corner of the matrix (under "Delete") or use its shortcut Alt+N to check all messages in the folder.

27966[/snapback]

That particular instruction only works for mailboxes/Folders which are not "Held Mail" - in "Held Mail", you need to use Alt+K because Alt+N is taken by "Release and Whitelist" (another reason that "Release and Whitelist" needs a safety).

That particular instruction only works for mailboxes/Folders which are not "Held Mail" - in "Held Mail", you need to use Alt+K because Alt+N is taken by "Release and Whitelist" (another reason that "Release and Whitelist" needs a safety).

27983[/snapback]

thanks. I also updated the Guide... :)

Lukas, thanks for the effort. What I'd ask now is that you make a copy of just the FAQ entry and post that into the FAQ Development forum as a stand-alone item, proper title and all that ... the link added to the Forum FAQ will then point to your creation, such that credit goes to where it's due. (Or re-reading above, do you want to make this as an additional entry in the existing FAQ entry/Topic? (Seems to repeat the Title.) Main point is to strip the post down to just the details, but remaining a posting from you.)

and upon further research, now noting that this is a "How to Use...." item ... same request/suggestions apply ... strip it down to the data, and post it ...

but now I do most of my reporting using the web form,

27964[/snapback]

I hope I understand, because I really am still confused :blink: with "report spam" before open mail "report as spam" once read mail, quick report, and this one you name above. Is it by going to spamcop.net instead of the SC webmail? I see it has a place to forward or paste spam in. But if I already have a SC webmail account, don't I just utilize it and the Held Mail folder (for reporting)?

Alright, there's lots of replies in this thread so I'm going to address them singly. For this one

"SpamCop Quick reporting data" email message (to your Inbox) ...

My guide only works if Quick Reporting is enabled...

27966[/snapback]

I don't think I have Quick Reportting. What I read today is it's a permission granted to those who have done a few normal reports. Heck I only have done 2 from my inbox, and I did get the email back you named above. So without Quick Report I still get a Quick Report email. :blink:

The terms and multilple tasks are just too confusing. Most folks are lucky if they can empty the trash folder, or read a FAQ for 2 minutes. But the goal should be to report spam, not read FAQs all about the various techniques!!!! They/I will never get through all this overly convoluted mess. :ph34r:

I will print one of your or the other's latest steps of how to report w/i SC webmail and keep it handy, thanks. But what a bother someone has had to do this a few times now, so now a user is forced to read each version and figure out how to report spam. HOW COME THERE ISN'T JUST ONE WAY IN SC WEBMAIL AND ANOTHER IN SC.NET? ANYONE?

it would seem to save everyone time to put a link to here in the Held Mail FAQ or Reporting which some have noted elsewhere, all it does is say what to report, not how!

EDIT: This post was originally made as a follow-on to a tutorial at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3520 ... Wazoo extracted it from that Topic, moved/Merged it into a Topic started by the same user in a different Forum ....

In the beginning ... http://web.archive.org/web/19990422074318/...://spamcop.net/ there was only the paste-your-spam-in-the-box on Julian's system in Washington State ...

Later on, one could buy a SpamCop e-mail account that would filter/manage some spam http://web.archive.org/web/20000302055831/spamcop.net/ still on Julian's sytems ..

Later on, JT picked up the hosting of the newsgroups and SpamCop e-mail accounts on his hardware in Georgia .. http://web.archive.org/web/20020125093854/...://spamcop.net/ .. the reporting still handled on hardware owned and maintained by Julian

Later on, IronPort gets involved http://web.archive.org/web/20040627001321/www.spamcop.net/ .. Julian still in Washington State, JT still in Georgia, parsing and reporting hardware moved to California

(none of the referenced items are specifically time referenced, just random page selections to indicate some of the differences as the SpamCop thing grew ..)

Parsing and reporting software basically Julian's efforts, self-admitted spaghetti code ... e-mail software starts with a third-party commercial productm with some patchwork to include stuff developed by Julian way back when to handle the e-mail submittal and response mechanisms ... again noting, e-mail is housed on a system in Georgia, with the parsing/reporting stuff housed on systems in California ... and how the submittal process actually works based on which e-mail account "view" you're using .... the www.spamcop.net FAQ has always been behind and incomplete, the attempt at the Forum FAQ was originally just a quick hack on a Saturday afternoon .... I'm not sure why you seem to think that there is any confusion <g>

it would seem to save everyone time to put a link to here in the Held Mail FAQ or Reporting which some have noted elsewhere, all it does is say what to report, not how!

28222[/snapback]

The problem is that we do not control those pages and have no access to them. We have requested other changes to the FAQ there which is how this FAQ popped up here. Please make your request to deputies<at>spamcop.net.

For this one  I don't think I have Quick Reportting.  What I read today is it's a permission granted to those who have done a few normal reports.  Heck I only have done 2 from my inbox, and I did get the email back you named above.  So without Quick Report I still get a Quick Report email.  :blink:

28221[/snapback]

If you get an email back with the subject: SpamCop Quick reporting data you either sent an email to qucik.<secret code>, hit the "Report as spam" link from spamcop webmail, or perhaps used the quick reporting from VER (http://mailsc.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog , the Held Mail folder)

Now within that email may be words along the line of "Quick reporting has been disabled, forwarding to normal parser" or something like that. There should also be links within that email. Follow one of the links and read through the page, especially toward the bottom where it will either present you with action buttons (report, preview, cancel) or an explanation as to why it did not present those buttons (already sent, too old, no spam found, etc.).

From the top of this page, there will be a link (similiar to the link in the email) labeled as a Tracking URL. Post that URL here if you have any further questions.

Maybe you are confused about the role of spamcop. It is a tool to help you determine where your reports should go. It can also send those reports for you, but is simply creating the reports in your name. The spammers have made it difficult on purpose so that most people can not do it, but with a learning curve, the spamcop parsing tool can help you send your reports. Take it a step at a time. I usually suggest using a valid message you sent to yourself (so know where it came from) in the paste box on www.spamcop.net to learn how to read headers at least a little.

28222[/snapback]

It's hard to keep feeding answers to your queries when you post them all over the place .... for example, please see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4162

Heck with it .. as this is actually posted in the "How to Use .... Reporting" Forum and actually has no merit for remaining there as a part of StevenUnderwood's shot at a tutorial, I'm going to Move/Merge this into the referenced Topic/Discussion ....

If you get an email back with the subject: SpamCop Quick reporting data you ...hit the "Report as spam" link from spamcop webmail,

28233[/snapback]

Thanks, yes I did that, now I see the returned email you call out above. Inside I see a few lines.

processing:

subject:

warning:

may be saved:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z762382405zda...04ede6e1f0b982z

the last one will take me to a report page. All along I thought the report was already done from clicking the "Report as spam" link. But this is the only link I get. I guess I get to all the others you mentioned from w/i this SC.net window. now I must finish the report from there.

But this is the only link I get.  I guess I get to all the others you mentioned from w/i this SC.net window.  now I must finish the report from there.

28351[/snapback]

You should receive a link for each spam submitted. If you submitted 5 at one time, you should get 5 links (they are spread out after the partial parse presented of each). You can also get to all the unreported spams from your www.spamcop.net page. Some (Many) of those messages may be too old to report now, so you may wish to delete all unreported messages and keep up with it from now on.

Archived