Reporting problems today?

mrmaxx

...In the interest of full disclosure, I feel obligated to point out that you can't yet tell from personal knowledge whether what I claimed is true, since you are now a "paying" user! :) <g> You'll have to wait to verify that until you run out of fuel (and, even then, you won't know for certain, since it could just be that once you have been a paying user, the option is present but wasn't before you were -- you'll have to take it on some degree of faith :) <g>).

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a free user (until I got the "free grant" of $15 at the end of the recent problems, that is), I had no additional "user" reporting address. It was yes/no for the abuse addresses detected by SpamCop, and comment boxes (one for everyone plus one for each), period.

If you are talking about the email submission, it has always been there on the "report spam" page. The only difference between a "free" user and a "paying" user is the short line above the "Your average reporting time is:" line.

If you are talking about the email submission, it has always been there on the "report spam" page. The only difference between a "free" user and a "paying" user is the short line above the "Your average reporting time is:" line.

I'm talking about the user-defined reporting address found near the bottom of the parsing page. It didn't exist when I was a "free" user. (I hadn't jumped through all the hoops turetzsr described.)

And, turetzsr, I followed your instructions through the Preferences and found the option there. Discoverability: almost zero. I believed you (without experimental proof) when you said it is still there for free users.

I do forward all spam to that address. It does do good, as it is stored and made available to law enforcement agencies and states' attorneys general when they are preparing to take action.

Maybe. I forward to that address when I forward to the SpamCop submit address. You should also be aware that for some hosts, the address SpamCop has listed as the abuse address...

If I'm understanding you right, "when I forward to the SpamCop submit address."

I can't use that. Forward the spam then wait till I get the spamcop email and hit send.

Used to. But yahoo changed ages ago and managed to screw that up. I have to open the spam, set it to show full headers, (used to be I could set that to show all the time. No more.)

Copy,

Open spamcop,

paste, wait, send.

And this wont' work with hotmail at all. (I don't use hotmail much anymore. Keep it just in case yahoo takes a major dump.)

I have been using that extra field now to paste in any email addresses that show up in the body of the message. And sometimes I run any websites through a whois and send to the resulting admin address.

And the FTC on occasion. When it looks like something they might want to have. (FBI ones I always send them.)

OK. First, off-topic, the sign-up for this board is a bit too unfriendly. Apparently, my choice of "reason" for sign-up was "too long". Admittadly, I didn't read the link, but why not just a drop box?

Now, second, and mainly:

I guess I appreciate the "Fuel" I got from Cisco, but I don't see what it's worth.

As a .spamcop mailservice user, it seems to be of no value to me.

Comments?

Doug

OK. First, off-topic, the sign-up for this board is a bit too unfriendly. Apparently, my choice of "reason" for sign-up was "too long". Admittadly, I didn't read the link, but why not just a drop box?

Now, second, and mainly:

I guess I appreciate the "Fuel" I got from Cisco, but I don't see what it's worth.

As a .spamcop mailservice user, it seems to be of no value to me.

Comments?

Doug

Well, it's a friendly gesture giving you faster reporting (no nag screen anymore) and additional features (such as the additional reporting address on the parse page with no need to go through the preferences), in return for your patience during the recent fsck-up and the time it took to fix it. As a commercial item its value is exactly what it would have cost you to get it, i.e., US $15. Maybe you wouldn't have purchased it on your own — I wouldn't; but now that I have it, and apparently it will last for several months, at the end of that time I may (or I may not) reverse my opinion and decide to refill my tank of fuel anyway. Everyone wins: we the users win by getting some goodie without paying for it, and Spamcop wins by a promotional gesture which doesn't cost them much, and may bring in more paying subscribers.

P.S. And if you already were a paying subscriber, it extends your subscription by 15 dollars' worth (IIUC).

OK. First, off-topic, the sign-up for this board is a bit too unfriendly. Apparently, my choice of "reason" for sign-up was "too long". Admittadly, I didn't read the link, but why not just a drop box?. ...

Don't want to do that - but have added a note in the explanation field on the maximum number of characters expected (15). Thanks for pointing to that omission :) .

Steve S

does anyone ever forward spam to spam AT uce.gov? Does it do any good?

(Assuming the spammer is in the states. It wouldn't do any good for other countries.)

And... would that extra field to add another email address be the place for this?

Yes I do an i never hear anything in response - cyberspace ?

Yo

You guys running this service are the spinal column - us dudes using your service are the vertebrae.

Together we form a body of resistance to greedy stupidity.

Long may you run !

Keith

Yes I do an i never hear anything in response - cyberspace ?

Yo

You guys running this service are the spinal column - us dudes using your service are the vertebrae.

Together we form a body of resistance to greedy stupidity.

Long may you run !

Keith

You can use the send-to field, but personally when I submit spam reports I add spam at uce dot gov to the cc field.

We can only sit and watch what happens.

The revolution won't happen until we make it happen.

K

>- would that extra field to add another email address be the place for this?

If you're going to usually or always send uce.gov a copy of your reports, it might be better to use the "Public standard report recipients" field. You will see it in your "Preferences."

Public standard report recipients

If you wish others to receive a copy of every spam you submit, enter the email address here. Please do not send to any address which is not receptive to receiving untargetted spam reports. Note this will create only one copy for each spam, even if there are multiple reports per spam.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

>- would that extra field to add another email address be the place for this?

If you're going to usually or always send uce.gov a copy of your reports, it might be better to use the "Public standard report recipients" field. You will see it in your "Preferences."

Public standard report recipients

If you wish others to receive a copy of every spam you submit, enter the email address here. Please do not send to any address which is not receptive to receiving untargetted spam reports. Note this will create only one copy for each spam, even if there are multiple reports per spam.

Cheers Don

Nice to see you still trucking with your commitment.

Don't want to do that - but have added a note in the explanation field on the maximum number of characters expected (15). Thanks for pointing to that omission :) .

Steve S

you're welcome. I hope the error message is a little more specific as well...

>- its value is exactly what it would have cost you to get it

As an Email Service user, he already had all the privileges paid subscription users get. He would not need to subscribe.

That's what I thought, Don.

So, it IS of no value to me? Like, it's not giving me any extension on my spamcop.net address or anything, right?

you're welcome. I hope the error message is a little more specific as well...

That's what I thought, Don.

So, it IS of no value to me? Like, it's not giving me any extension on my spamcop.net address or anything, right?

Right?

Be nice though if SpamCop email could fix the countrywide blocklists

and pay a bit of attention to what we pay do pay for!

Noting the topic http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12569 for the attention of SC e-mail account owners.

And yes, petzl has already raised his concerns more times than he would care to contemplate in the appropriate http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showforum=4 forum just in case others might think his comments about them misplaced in this topic. He and I, at least, know he has done his best to get them resolved.

>- So, it IS of no value to me? Like, it's not giving me any extension on my

>- spamcop.net address or anything, right?

You are correct!

I'm very grateful for the 15megs credit, but I'm already down to 4megs left :-(

Maybe I just report too much spam. Many of the recent "bookingdotcom" spams have a big malware payload which spamcop trims down to 50k, but they still eat up the allowance.

Can I make a suggestion;

By all means keep that sensible trimming limit, but arrange the reporting credit so that one buys a number of reports, regardless of spam size. Presently, paying reporters might be discouraged from reporting any spam with lots of body text. Yes I know I could trim further, but having just reported almost 100 bookingdotcom spams I don't think I could spare the time.

- just a suggestion.

- and please keep up the good work!

>- Maybe I just report too much spam.

You're an Email Service user. You get unlimited full-service spam reporting. You can't report too much spam.

Just ignore the "fuel credit" thing.

Thanks Don!

<snip>

P.S. And if you already were a paying subscriber, it extends your subscription by 15 dollars' worth (IIUC).

...No, [EDIT Added later] True but only if you are a fuel subscriber, not if you are an e-mail subscriber [end additional text EDIT] per Don D'Minion (SpamCopAdmin) 82158[/snapback].

>- No, per Don D'Minion (SpamCopAdmin)

I don't think I said that...

The devil is in the details....

The "fuel credit" gives reporting service users additional paid reporting.

Email Service users already get unlimited full reporting. The "fuel credit" gives them nothing but something to talk about.

>- No, per Don D'Minion (SpamCopAdmin)

I don't think I said that...

The devil is in the details....

The "fuel credit" gives reporting service users additional paid reporting.

Email Service users already get unlimited full reporting. The "fuel credit" gives them nothing but something to talk about.

...Sorry, Don, I'm not getting the difference. My reply was to A.J.Mechelynck, who asked:
And if you already were a paying subscriber, it extends your subscription by 15 dollars' worth (IIUC).
When you replied to dougmccrary:
>- So, it IS of no value to me? Like, it's not giving me any extension on my

>- spamcop.net address or anything, right?

You are correct!

it appeared to me that was effectively indicating that what A.J.Mechelynck was saying was incorrect. Did I misunderstand?

* EDIT * Oops, I think I see: I read too much into what A.J.Mechelynck wrote, taking it to mean an e-mail subscriber! BLUSH BLUSH

turetzsr: Neither did I know all the fine points, such as the fact that email subscribers (unlike paid reporters without a spamcop email) get unlimited full reporting. Thanks to Don and you, the matter is much clearer now.

<snip>

Is Cisco/Spamcop ever going to tell the user any details on what the the timeout problems were? Since it has been fixed the problems must have been found.

...Thereby giving any number of potential evildoers ideas to others who would also like to try to bring SpamCop to its knees? I certainly hope they're not! :) <g>

>- its value is exactly what it would have cost you to get it

As an Email Service user, he already had all the privileges paid subscription users get. He would not need to subscribe.

I would like to cancel and receive a refund. How do I do that?

Archived